Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Review: Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi


Title: Unravel Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series: Shatter Me #2
Publisher: Allen & Unwin Australia
Published: January 30th 2013
Source: Publisher for review

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance. She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch. Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.



It's been two weeks since Adam and Juliette arrived at Omega Point. While Juliette is training her powers to be of greater use in the war against the Reestablishment, Adam is keeping secrets and undergoing mysterious tests with Castle. I never imagined that I'd be giving this novel anything less than 5 sparkling gold stars, but while there were many terrific things about Unravel Me, there were also a few very disappointing ones too.

My favourite thing about Shatter Me was the characters. Although vulnerable in some ways, they were strong and independent and always found a way to deal with whatever was thrown at them. At the beginning of this novel, Juliette is almost unbearable. People at Omega Point are terrified of her and she fails to make much progress with her training, so she throws herself a pity party because she feels useless! I was very sympathetic towards her situation at first but she took it a bit too far. Then when Adam begins pulling away for unknown reasons, she becomes even more upset and all she thinks about is Adam Adam Adam Adam Adam. We're at war, girl! WOMAN UP! Adam isn't too much better in the man department, avoiding her and trying to play hero like he knows best. Mafi does, of course, eventually turn things around. Juliette's growth as a character was phenomenal! I was in awe of the powers she discovered and her new-found mental strength. The characters go through quite a bit in this novel so by the end, they're all in the right frame of mind and ready for some badassery in book 3!

Adam and Juliette's relationship was always a high point for me too. In Shatter Me, it was flawless and all kinds of delicious! In this sequel, their love is really stretched to the limits as Adam discovers something shocking, hence the secretive tests. Unfortunately, both characters make some VERY questionable decisions in Unravel Me. This leads me to talk about the love triangle… We always knew that Warner would become a love interest and I actually didn't mind it in Shatter Me. Although he was a big villain, we could see that there was something there beneath that tough exterior, a good side, a good person who was just a product of his environment. I like him, really, but the sudden relationship that sprung up between him and Juliette…I wasn't the biggest fan of. I'm probably the only person who didn't fallen head over heels for him. I honestly thought I would before I began reading, but feeling sorry for him and finding out about his past isn't enough! I thought he was a great character who brought a lot of things to this novel, but my issues with Juliette's behaviour and decisions stopped me from just letting go and going into swoon mode.

I really enjoyed the direction the story took in terms of the fight against the Reestablishment. I would've liked to have learned more about Omega Point but perhaps that'll happen in the next book. While Unravel Me isn't as fast-paced as Shatter Me, it has some great twists which should lead to extremely interesting things in the future. Some twists present challenges or new opportunities and others simply make life more difficult. I can't wait to see how Mafi deals with these! I'm also hoping the secondary characters come into play just a bit more, seeing as they faded into the background a little in this book. Kenji was the exception. Front and centre, that adorable flirt never failed to make me smile!

Overall, Unravel Me was very enjoyable despite some moments where I felt like slapping some sense into certain characters. It wasn't the exciting, heart-pounding action story I was hoping for, based on the way the previous book ended, but I have high hopes that these characters will come out guns blazing in book three! Unfortunately it was a bit of a bridging book to me but I'm happy with the new developments and look forward to seeing them through to the end!


What did you think of this sequel? Impressed as you expected? Disappointed?

Find Tahereh on Twitter, Goodreads, Facebook and her blog.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...