Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux #1
Publisher: Entangled
Published: November 29th 2011

Starting over sucks.When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.And then he opened his mouth.Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me.You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is.

Obsidian caught me by surprise, throwing me into the sizzling clutches of one Daemon Black before dragging me kicking and screaming into the freezing cold lake behind his house. Filled with the most toe-curling sexual tension and exciting action, Jennifer L. Armentrout has written yet another amazing series, which I think surpasses Covenant in the EPIC department. When Katy moved to the tiny not-town of Ketterman with her mother, she never planned on moving in next to two aliens. Who knew they could be so beautiful? Where are the six extra eyes and tentacles?!

There's no escaping the amazing narrator that is Katy. Hilarious YA book blogger by day and alien molester by night…how can you not love her? Armentrout nails her portrayal of bloggers right on the head, from the "OMG I GOT A PACKAGE!" squealing to the "OH NO MY COMPUTER BROKE!" crying. You'll love Katy's tenacity from the get-go, even though her wicked sarcasm falters whenever the frustratingly seductive Daemon's around… Saying they got off on the wrong foot is a massive understatement, but he certainly makes up for it from that point on. Grab a cloth and prepare to wipe away the steam on your glasses and windows because this guy is smoking!! I don't know if it's his character or the terribly sexy things Armentrout makes him do, but he is absolutely the hottest YA guy to me at the moment. He's the gorgeous bad boy to the extreme, without the irritating cliches, and will have you pawing at him before you know it. Will Katy ever tame him? Will he ever stop suggestively calling her Kitten? *swoons*

The storyline of Obsidian is extremely engaging, with Katy slowly realising that the Blacks aren't really as they seem. Furthermore, she forms a surprisingly strong bond with Daemon's sweet sister, Dee, and struggles to maintain their friendship with his angry interference. Human friends are completely off the table for safety reasons, so you can imagine how furious Daemon was when he found himself falling in love with one… Everything in this book is part of a bigger picture. There are dangerous government groups who have the ability to wipe them out for disobeying the rules and Arum, creatures of darkness, who are deadset on destroying the entire race of Luxen on Earth. I think the author did a wonderful job of constructing the Luxen/Arum world, giving us interesting insights into their history and making us lust for more! I also just have to mention that I loved these aliens. The Luxens are beautiful, mysterious and powerful; a fresh new take on the slimy creatures we all hate!

Obsidian will take you on an earth-shattering journey. Insta-love is the devil and Armentrout couldn't have built up the romance any better. The levels of tension and anticipation are very high so seriously…get ready. Katy and Daemon have to be one of my favourite couples because of how uncomplicatedly complicated they are. It's rare that you run around cheering when two characters make it to the FRIEND level. That's how much hard work they have to put in to get their relationship going in the right direction. I'll be extremely surprised if you finish this book without a puddle of drool at your feet! Katy and Daemon often make lights explode because they're so hot... *coughs* Perfect from beginning to end, Obsidian is a must-read book that is a brilliant start to this series!


So I read Onyx shortly after completing this one and it was amazing. Even better than Obsidian! Really. Review will be up on the weekend! I absolutely adore this cover and am quite disappointed with the new ones! Firstly because my two books won't match now and secondly because Daemon's eyes are so green on this cover... *sniffles* No more pretty in the new ones! Wouldn't mind so much if my books matched but..you know.

Find Jennifer on Twitter, Goodreads, Facebook, her website and blog.
Buy Obsidian from Amazon, The Book Depository and Barnes & Noble.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...