Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Author Interview: Julie Kagawa


Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die or become one of the monsters. Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad. Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike. But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

First of all, a huge thank you to Morey Media for organising this interview and, of course, to Julie for taking the time out of her busy schedule for it! As you know, The Immortal Rules was my first Julie Kagawa book and I have since then fallen in love with her writing. She's conquered faeries and vampires....what will she come up with next?! So without any further ado, here's the interview I was able to do with her ;) Enjoy!

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

1. The world, storyline and characters in The Immortal Rules are darker than they are in the Iron Fey series. What was the transition like for you? Was it difficult after being in the Fey world for so long?

Yes and no. On the one hand, I enjoy the world-building aspect, creating deep and involved     settings that (I hope) take on personalities of their own, and then filling that world with the     characters that such a harsh environment would create. In that respect, building the world of the Immortal Rules was no difficulty at all. The most challenging aspect of the world was that it is, in many ways, our world... a real world. In the Iron Fey series, when I needed characters to go from     one coast to another, there was always some type of mystical or magical way to get them there. In the world of Immortal Rules, I actually had to figure out how long it would take people, on foot, to travel across a wild and overgrown countryside. That's a different (and in some ways, less fun)     type of research than I was used to doing. Hopefully, I didn't make too many mistakes. :)

2. Which character in The Immortal Rules do you think you are the most similar to and why?
 

Probably some mix of Allie and Zeke. I'd like to think I have Allie's scrappy-ness (and I think the guys in my kung-fu and kali classes would agree). But Zeke's strong morality is probably closer to my own. Allie is a pure survivor at heart, and there's nothing she won't do to keep on. Zeke believes that something better awaits him after this world, and so do I.


3. Unlike the romance in the Iron Fey series, where Ash fought to keep a distance from Meghan, Allison was the one trying to shut down Zeke's feelings in this book. Which was the most fun to write, in terms of the narrator fighting to keep the boy close or away?

Hmm.. that's a tough one. Probably trying to keep the boy away. I like tragedy and self-sacrifice     (after all, Iron Queen was originally intended to be the last book in the Fey series)... Allie's desire     to keep Zeke away for both their own good appeals to the tragic in me.

4. All of your books have been hugely successful thus far. What do you think is your secret weapon? What is the most essential thing to writing a good book?
 
Most people don't realize that there's a lot of people involved in getting that final, print-worthy draft. I think my biggest secret weapons are my editor and my agent. They're always there with character and story advice, or just with encouragement when deadlines start to get a little overwhelming. I also use my husband as a sounding board... he always catches the little logical inconsistencies that are always a pain to fix. The other weapon would be perseverance. Very, very few people write a good book on their first try. I spent 15 years writing and learning the craft before I ever got something to the standard of traditional publishers. Writing is a skill that has to be honed... no one is born good at it.
 


5. And finally, are you able to tell us anything about The Lost Prince? Will Ethan be embarking on important missions like his sister? Will he be getting a nice girl of his own? Should we be feeling guilty for ogling him on the cover?!
 
Ethan will be having adventures every bit as epic as Meghan and company (and you'll be seeing a few familiar faces as well!), and without the benefit of Summer and Iron glamour to help her. There will be romance, but I can't go into too many details... my publisher would kick me! As for guilt, ogle away... I certainly do. Part of the point of the story is that Ethan's all grown up now... and a little ogling never hurt anyone. :)

 
~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

Did we enjoy that? Julie really is amazing! I love how she's so deep and does kung-fu LOL. But her knack for writing tragedies... *prods her* NO..............please? 

I'm so looking forward to The Iron Knight. Methinks Ethan will be a kickass main character and his story will be very interesting. Can't wait to find out more!

What did you think of the interview? What are you desperate to ask her? ;)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...