Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Valentine's Blog Event: Deleted Scene - Everneath by Brodi Ashton


*squeals* Brodie and I both loved Everneath! You would not believe the insane fangirling that went down because of Jack. He's the sort of guy you either want to shove in your pocket or chain to your bed. I personally wouldn't mind either. Nikki is one insanely lucky girl. I mean, come on... SHARE WITH US! Perhaps if we're good, Brodi will send us Jack... Nikki can just run away with Cole, right? :)

Okay, enough jabbering! Here's a deleted scene from Everneath. Not only does it show how caring Jack is but all of the tension between the two! They should know by now not to try and resist each other! THEY'RE MEANT TO BE. *coughs* Sorry. These two bring out the crazy fanatic enthusiast in me.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

MILLCREEK CANYON

It was Jack’s idea to drive his father’s old 1979 Scout up the canyon to roast s’mores. The last day of September felt more like a summer heat wave than a fall chill, and Jack was convinced it was our last chance to have a cookout.

Jack and Will sat in the front, Jules and I sat in the back seat, waving our arms in the air and screaming loudly like you do when your truck doesn’t have a roof. It was good to be with Jack, now that we had buffers in Jules and Will. More than anything I wanted our friendship to return to normal.

We pulled in to the Elbow Fork campfire site, and had our pick of fire pits. Jack parked the Scout in front of one of the highest places, and then we started up the trail to Grandeur peak.

“Race to the top,” Jack said.

Jules put her hand on her hip. “It’s an hour-long hike. And you’re in football shape.”

“Excuses,” Jack said.

Jules looked like she was about to argue, and then she took off running. “C’mon Becks!”

I sprinted after her, laughing. Jack and Will must have given us a head start, because it took them three whole minutes to catch up. Jack went in front of me and turned around, jogging backward.

“Show off,” I said, panting.

He grinned. “The view’s much better this way.”

My cheeks got hot, and not just because of the exercise. But Jack was always saying thinks like that. He said the same things to Jules too.

I’m not special, I told myself. I had to remind myself of this over and over, especially lately because my hopeless crush – the one my mom told me I would grow out of, the one that haunted my dreams – wasn’t going away. It felt like I was running toward a cliff, and I could see the edge, but I couldn’t stop running, even though I knew if I jumped off, it would end badly.

“If you’re not going to try,” I said, and made a push to pass him. The sudden competition sparked him into action, and he turned around and did his turbo thing.

When he was out of sight, I eased up. “Go ahead, Jules,” I said. She was a long-distance track runner, so I knew she was just going slow for my benefit. She also couldn’t pass up a good race.

“You sure you’re okay?” she said.

“Yeah. I’ll have more fun if I don’t think I’m holding anyone back.”

“Okay. I’ll see you up there.”

“Please beat at least one of the boys,” I said. She waved over her shoulder and took off.

Around the next bend, a small stream intersected the trail. I didn’t want to get my feet wet when there was still so much hike left, so I leaped to one of the stones in the middle. Only it was covered in moss, and my foot slipped..

I heard a pop as my ankle turned, and I smashed into the stream, butt first. I didn’t care about the couple of inches of water I was sitting in. I was too focused on the pain in my ankle.

“Crap,” I muttered. I scooted crab-leg style, holding my bad ankle up in the air, until I was out of the stream and sitting on a log. The ankle started to swell.

I looked ahead up the trail. “Jules!” I called.

There was no answer.

“Jules!” I screamed louder.

Nothing.

I waited for a few minutes, then stood and tried to put weight on the bad leg. Pain shot through my foot all the way up to my knee.

Okay, so I obviously wasn’t going to get down on my own. I pulled my phone out. No signal.
I did some mental calculations. Maybe forty-five minutes for the three of them to reach the top, and then a half hour for them to get back down. But they’d wait for me for a while at the top before they gave up and figured out something was wrong.

It’ll be okay, I thought, even though I knew my ankle would be twice as swollen by the time they reached me. But there was nothing I could do…

At that moment, Jack rounded the corner, almost at a flat out sprint, interrupting my internal dialogue. “Becks! Are you okay?”

It took me a minute to get over my surprise. “I’m fine. I just twisted my stupid ankle.”

“Well, don’t blame the ankle.” He crouched in front of me and examined it, pushing up my jeans to get a closer look. It gave me chills, and I tried to pull them down a bit.

“How did you know to turn back?” I said.

With his head still down, he said, “I waited for you.”

“But it’s a race. Why did you wait for me?”

He lifted his head so that his eyes met mine. “I always wait for you.” He took a deep breath, my ankle still in his hands. “I’m always waiting for you.”

In an embarrassingly breathless voice that didn’t sound like my own, I said, “Because I’m so slow?”

He smiled. “Yes. But not in the way that you think.”

My heartbeat started racing. It ran right out of my chest and up into the sky where it exploded in fireworks. At least that’s how it felt.

He was waiting for me. Right now. Waiting for me to say something. Wasn’t he? Maybe he was messing with me. And if he was serious, would I be dismissed in two weeks? Suddenly that cliff was closer than it had ever been. He’d left it open. I could jump off if I wanted to. Or we could pretend the cliff wasn’t even there. I could choose to believe Jack was talking about how I was slow at running.

I turned my face away, trying to hide all the emotions Jack always brought out.

He lowered his head and pulled my hem back down around my ankle. “I think you’ll survive.”

I wasn't so sure.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ 

You loved that, right?! Aren't they the most adorable not-couple in the entire world?! *swoons* What did you think? :)

Y

This is the first letter you'll find for the scavenger hunt!

Now, run over and check out Brodie's amazing post with Amalie Howard! Fantastic telling of her real-life romance (with an Aussie!) plus a drool-worthy teaser from the sequel to BLOODSPELL. You'll love it!

Full schedule of events can be found HERE. Be sure to enter the Comment Giveaway on that post so that all of your comments now count to winning some amazing prizes!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...