Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Team Ky vs. Team Xander - Matched by Ally Condie

Love Triangle. A daunting pair of words, eh? We have two boys...and one's just as deserving of the girl as the other! How is she meant to choose? How are we meant to choose? It's just not fair...

Today, I'll be kicking off the event with a debate between Xander and Ky from Matched by Ally Condie! On the other side, Brodie's posting up a delicious debate between Ren and Shay, so be sure to check that one out! *slowly inches towards Ren* A full schedule of debates can be found HERE.

Are you going to go for Xander, who's a "perfect match" for Cassia? Or was that one second flash of Ky's face on the big screen enough to convince you that he was the one for her? On a date....would you like your guy to teach you how to write? Or to take you on a supervised walk? Ooooh, choices, choices.

Feel the conflict. Dart your eyes between the two posts. Who will win?! Cast your vote at the end of both arguments in the poll and debate with fellow lovers in the comments section! For every debate you vote in, you'll earn extra entries to win some great prizes in this giveaway. Form at the bottom!
 TEAM KY
Represented by: Precious from Fragments of Life

When I read Matched, in the beginning, I wanted Xander for Cassia. He seemed like the perfect candidate for her. Xander was her best friend and he knew everything about her. Sure enough, he became her Match. But after the little incident with Cassia’s microcard and I turned my attention to Ky Markham, I just knew that he was the perfect one for her.

Ky was a different flavor of perfect but perfect nonetheless in my eyes. He is a gorgeous, blue-eyed quiet-type boy. He may or may not have captured the hearts of some of you, he may or may not have touched some of you with his life story but his name is surely written in many hearts including Cassia’s.

Here are the reasons why Ky is better than Xander:

Number 1: Ky is mysterious.

Yes, Ky is the quiet, sort-of-shy type. The quiet types are usually the ones who have interesting things to say. Sure enough, he had great and dangerous things to say. He is filled with secrets about himself and his past. No one really knew what happened to him before he came to the Borough. Just like in most novels, mystery draws the girls in – both fictional girls and reader girls – to the guy. Mystery excites us! It makes us want more, more, more. 5 years ago, I met a guy and I found him mysterious. And yes, I was drawn to him like a magnet. Now, that guy is my boyfriend. Almost the same thing happened in Matched. Cassia found out that Ky is an Aberration and that he can never be anyone’s Match because of that. She became interested in him, looking at him from a different perspective. She looks at him no longer as a peer but a guy who had more to him than meets the eye. The mystery factor boosts the curiosity and interest level of Cassia and might just be one of the factors to her successful romance with Ky.

Number 2: Ky is a keeper of secrets.

Like in any dystopian novel, Matched was packed with secrets. One of the things that I liked about Ky was that he kept Cassia’s secret. He proved himself to be trustworthy and dependable when it came to forbidden things. He not only proved that, he also shared his secrets with Cassia. He shared things about his past through drawings. He trusted Cassia enough to share the reality of his past and present with her. And of course, the danger and risk factor of sharing these secrets together draw them closer and bind them.

Number 3: Ky is gentle and sweet.

For me, one of Ky’s best qualities is his gentleness. There was something about the way he spoke softly, so gently that just made my and Cassia’s heart beat faster. It is captivating. It’s also undeniably sweet. It’s as if he has nothing else to think about, to worry about…it’s as if speaking to Cassia and being with her is the one and only thing that he was thinking of, focusing on in that moment. 0% rush. 100% connection. There is a difference between talking comfortably and talking gently. Talking comfortably means that the person feels that he/she can speak as low, as loud, as slow, as fast about anything under the sun. But Ky talks comfortably in a gentle way. He does it in such a way that is low, not too slow and not too fast, just right. He takes his time and in the end, his conversations with Cassia are successes.

Number 4: Ky makes Cassia feel alive.

According to page 267, Matched: Our time together feels like a storm, like wild wind and rain, like something too big to handle but too powerful to escape. It blows around me and tangles my hair, leaves water on my face, makes me know that I am alive, alive, alive.

These lines just proved reason Number 4. Ky gave Cassia love – real love that produces heart marathons and the swirling of happy butterflies inside. Ky and Cassia might not be officially Matched by the Society but they are Matched by heart. It can’t be denied that the two long for and love each other. This is probably one of the strongest reasons why Ky is the best candidate for Cassia. He gave his heart to her and he held hers in his hand. They’re bound by their emotions.

Ky gave Cassia the truth. He gave her his own version of reality, the real one, about their Society and the world they live in through little drawings and pieces. He gave her things that no one else can give: hope, forbidden poems, writing in cursive, different perspective and aliveness. He gave her things that made life worth living. He gave her a break from the Society-ruled life even for a little while. He made her feel alive, free and safe in his company.

There could be a hundred more reasons but I summed it up in four reasons. We all have different choices and opinions, but for me Ky is the best option for Cassia.
TEAM XANDER
Represented by: Nina from Lost in the Pages

(Picture from book trailer.)

Ah, Xander. Cassia's handsome, supportive best friend and Match, who is put in the dreaded friend zone because of Cassia's curiosity toward Ky. Well I am here to bring him out of that friend zone, and back with Cassia where he belongs. So first things first, who is Xander?

Xander Carrow live on the same street as Cassia, and they have been best friends for as long as she can remember. He is handsome and charismatic, with blond hair, bright blue eyes and a kind and good smile. Xander is the kind of person who is sure about what he wants. Even the meaning of his name, "defender of the people", fits his personality, even if we might have to wait until the third book to really see him live up to that. He loves playing games and swimming, and even if he's always done everything according to protocol there's a rebellious side to him as well. 
"I can't believe it," I say, and I feel opulent and a little giddy. I can't believe that this is me, wearing a beautiful green dress, holding gold in one hand and silver in the other, walking next to my best friend. My Match. "I can," Xander says, teasing me. "In fact, I knew all along. That’s why I wasn’t nervous." I tease him back. "I knew, too. That’s why I was." - Cassia and Xander after the Matching Banquet.
It is clear from the beginning that Xander is in love with Cassia, and that he would do anything for her. Hello? Wake up Cassia, Xander would be more than just good for you, he would be perfect! I understand that she finds Ky intriguing, but he's far from a safe bet. Heck, he's probably going to get himself killed doing something reckless before he even turns twenty. Xander, on the other hand, is reliable and safe, but not "boring" like everyone seems to associate with those words. 

When I asked on Twitter why people would choose Xander over Ky, I got a lot of responses (as well as a retweet from Ally Condie herself, yay!), but my favorite response was this one, which really summed up my thoughts in under 140 characters:
@CarterHiggins
He's loyal and patient and kind. Ky feels like a wildcard. Too unpredictable. He's certainly loving and fierce, but...Xander.

And really, I can't help but feel sorry for Xander. To have all his dreams come true when he Matched with the girl he loved, only to have her leave him for someone like Ky? That's tough. But hey, if he ever comes around looking for a replacement for Cassia I'm right here, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be happy to help him get over her.

So if you think Cassia should have chosen Xander, or if you just want him for yourself, vote for him! And for parting words, here's a little piece of hope from the pages of Crossed:
"I love Xander in ways that are perhaps more complicated than I first expected."

So...who is Cassia's perfect match? Who complements her personality perfectly? Who challenges her? I can't decide. Hopefully you can.

Cast your vote below, enter the giveaway form and then battle it out in the comments! After filling in the form (you must fill it in once for every debate you want entries counted for - total 16) each comment you make will earn you entries!

Voting will remain open until the end of the month.





After you've checked out the Ren/Shay battle over at Brodie's blog, be sure to check back here in a few hours! I'll be pitting Tucker and Christian from Unearthly against each other, and Brodie will be letting the Personal Demons boys face off!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...