Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Review: Kiss of Frost + Author Interview



Title: Kiss of Frost
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Mythos Academy #2
Publisher: Kensington
Published: November 29th 2011
Source: Author for review

I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart — the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword — with Logan’s help - I just might die by the sword…


Once again, we're thrown into the magnificent Mythos Academy to spend yet another year with our favourite characters. Gwen's still a terrible fighter…Logan's still dating some other girl…Gwen still hasn't made any progress with her role as Nike's champion… Throw in some death threats, a dangerous ski trip and what do you get? An exciting, action-packed novel filled with the passionate romance and brilliant humour we're used to from Estep! I couldn't stop laughing at this book. From Gwen's hilarious trains of thought to her talking sword's sarcastic one-liners, you'll crack a smile at least once, I promise you!

Where do I start? Gwen's life is taking a turn for the…crazy. With her daily training sessions with the Spartans, Gwen's discovered that she can possess certain skills after seeing the memories of other people. Kiss of Frost is exciting through and through as Gwen isn't a girl to take things lying down. She's always up for an adventure and investigates things herself. Granted, it usually lands her in a lot of trouble but…that doesn't mean it isn't fun! The novel is filled with fight scenes between many different characters and also keeps an air of suspense. Who's after Gwen? Which of her friends is up to something? You'll only find out at the very end ;)

Relationships are plentiful in this book. While Gwen still pines for Logan, who's adamant about keeping his secret hidden from her psychometry, he's stooped to the lows of "dating" Savanah Warren, an Amazon who's gorgeous and knows it. Luckily, a handsome Preston from the New York branch takes an interest in Gwen….and well, that's where things start getting really interesting. Add in Oliver's secret crush and we have one crazy love fest on our hands! I really enjoyed these new additions to the cast. Oliver and Kenzie are Logan's fellow Spartan friends and they've certainly got some interesting personalities! Preston is sweet and mysterious, just the type of guy Gwen needs right now.

Kiss of Frost is a novel that will turn you inside out and take you on a thrilling journey. You'll have a blast picking out the antagonists and forming relationships with the new characters too. While you may predict a thing or two, it's overshadowed by the plentiful surprises that you'll find along the way! A great addition to the series. I can't wait to see what happens next!


Find Jennifer on Twitter, Goodreads, Facebook and her website.
Buy Kiss of Frost from Amazon, The Book Depository and Barnes & Noble.

~x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x~

Hi, Jennifer. Welcome to Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me!
Thanks for hosting me on the blog today. I appreciate it.

How would you describe your series in one word?
Fun.

How is Kiss of Frost different to Touch of Frost?
Kiss of Frost continues the story started in Touch of Frost. Both books are about Gwen Frost, a 17-year-old Gypsy girl who has the gift of psychometry, or the ability to know an object’s history just by touching it. After a serious freak-out with her magic, Gwen is shipped off to Mythos Academy, a school for the descendants of ancient warriors like Spartans, Valkyries, Amazons, and more. In Kiss of Frost, Gwen and the other students at Mythos Academy go to a ski resort for the annual Winter Carnival, only there’s a Reaper of Chaos there who doesn’t want Gwen to live through the weekend. So she has to use her wits and magic to figure out who the bad guy really is – before he buries her for good. Basically, Kiss of Frost features the same elements that Touch of Frost does – a smart, sassy heroine, magic, mythology, monsters, and lots of action.

What about Kiss of Frost are you the most proud of?
I like how Gwen grows up a little in this book. She realizes that someone is out to get her, and she decides to fight back and take care of herself. Gwen wants to be worthy of being a Champion, and readers will see her try to live up to that in Kiss of Frost.

What was the hardest part about writing Kiss of Frost?
I would say one of the hardest parts about writing Kiss of Frost is the relationship between Gwen and Logan Quinn, the cute Spartan guy that she has a crush on. There’s a lot of push and pull between them in this book, and I hope readers like where they end up in this book.

How much of the mythology in the book is "real" and how much has been of your own creation?
In the Mythos Academy books, I’m taking gods, goddesses, monsters and more, and trying to put my own spin on them and make them my own characters with their own backstory, magic, and more. So I would say the myths are a starting point, and then I just let my imagination take off from there.

Which character in your series is the most fun to write?
I really like writing Vic, Gwen’s talking sword, just because he’s so mouthy, confident, and bloodthirsty. Vic is just a fun character for me to write because he always says exactly what’s on his mind.

I really loved Oliver and Kenzie - will we be seeing more of them?
Well, I can’t give out too many spoilers, but Oliver and Kenzie are Logan’s friends and they help with Gwen’s warrior training, so they will both be back in Dark Frost, the third book in the series.

In your head, who is the perfect Logan Quinn?
I think Ian Somerhalder from The Vampire Diaries would make a good Logan Quinn.

If you were a warrior at Mythos Academy, who would your ancestor be?
I think it would be cool to be a Valkyrie because of their superstrength and the other powers that they develop.

What can we expect from the third book?
Again, I can’t give out too many spoilers, so I’ll just say there’s a lot of action in Dark Frost, as Gwen fights more Reapers of Chaos and gets more involved in the ongoing battles between the Reapers and the members of the Pantheon (the good guys). The book is definitely a turning point in the series, as Gwen learns more about herself, her magic, and what she’s supposed to do with it. Dark Frost will be out in June 2012, while Crimson Frost, the fourth book in the series, is tentatively scheduled to be published in January 2013. Right now, I’m under contract for six books in the series.

Do you have anything planned for after this series is over?
I always have ideas for other books and series, so I’m always thinking about what I want to write next. But I’m having a blast writing the Mythos Academy series, and I hope to be writing about Gwen and her friends for a long time to come.

QUICK QUESTIONS

Favourite book?
There are so many books that I love, but one of my favorite books is Beauty by Robin McKinley.

Favourite TV show/movie?
Again, there are so many TV shows and movies that I love, but one of my favorite movies is The Princess Bride. Inconceivable!

Favourite food?
I have a weakness for cheese fries, among many other things.

Guilty pleasure?
Ice cream, cookies, cakes, pies … Basically, dessert is one of my guilty pleasures.

A big thanks to Jennifer for taking the time out to do this interview! Kiss of Frost is released today so be sure to get yourself a copy if you haven't already!

Who's excited about there being 4 more books in the series? Ian Somerhalder? *grins* I am on holiday at the moment so it was a rush to get this whole post ready without computer access in advance! Hope you enjoyed it anyway ;)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...