Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Teaser Tuesday & Top Ten Tuesday: More/Less Trends

Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.

The rules are simple!
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!  


As you can see, I'm reading Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter. I've always liked spy/mission/thief stories so I'm really hoping that this series ends up on top by the time I finish this! Reading is coming along a little slower because I can't keep myself awake these days. I feel like a grandma!
He swung his right arm, gesturing wildly, completely unaware of Gabrille, who was walking past, hands outstretched, with the Cleopatra Emerald resting gently on her palms. When Kelly's arm crashed into her, she stumbled onto the polished floor and watched the emerald tumble out of her hands. Shame and terror filled her face as she lunged after the stone, sliding, calling, "I'll get it! I'll-"
Uh-oh! Special emerald has just been lost. Dun dun dun. What'll happen next? ;)

~x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x~

This meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week we're listing our top ten trends! You can tell us the ones you want more of and the ones you want to fall off the earth. So here are mine!

PLEASE GO AWAY!

1. Lack of Plot and Characterisation - This one's quite obvious, right? Sometimes the author spends so much time on dialogue, nothing actually happens. Sometimes the novel is too plot-centric and we get poorly developed characters! Sick of it. I need to have special laser eyes to pick out the good books easily.

2. Insta- love - Don't even get me started. It drives me up the wall! If there's good characterisation, initially, then I'm more lenient. If nothing at all is developed and a love story suddenly pops up and smacks me in the face, I won't be happy!

3. Bad Boys - Sorry, but "oh look at me, I'm soooo brooding" just doesn't cut it anymore. "Looking" dangerous and "appearing" threatening isn't cool anymore. Sorry, boys. Have some personality, charisma and seductiveness...then we'll be good.

4. Paranormal Romances - Yes, I love these. When they are done well. So what am I bitching about today? "Oh I'm so powerful and so perfect and so above everyone else. Oh hello, mousy, unspecial, ordinary girl. I like you! Let's be soulmates." If a girl's going to be pretty and nice, then fine. Say so. I'm sick of authors describing the girls as "ordinary" when they are so obviously not! And well, if they are, why is she getting the guy in the first place?

I WANT TO SEE MORE!

1. Male Narrators - I absolutely adore these, maybe more than I should? Perhaps, as a girl, I like seeing the completely different mind frames of guys? I quite enjoy their inner commentaries and random thoughts! ;)

2. Action/mythology - So, this one comes from Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep. Great mythology, great action sequences…MORE PLEASE! I'm also digging books like Half Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout….

3. Steampunk - I'm really digging this genre. There always seems to be great world building and plot! Give me some more!

4. Females Saying NO - "You have to die for me." "Okay." "I'm sorry." "Okay." "Come on a journey with me which is almost guaranteed to end in death." "Okay." Use the magic word, girls!

5 - Boarding Schools/Academies - I love these stories so much. I find them very appealing and adventurous! This is probably the side of me which lusts to be in a boarding school of my own. Everyone living together doing goodness knows what? I'm game! Oh, what freedom. Even with scary headmasters and all ;)

6. Contemporary Adventures - Yes, you heard that right! I really enjoy novels without the supernatural and crazy twists, but I still like my contemporaries to be fun! Whether the characters are journeying across the country, visiting a new place or going along on a fun treasure hunt….I want more of these!

What are your answers for these Tuesday questions? Leave me your thoughts and links! 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...