Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Review: Wolfsbane



Title: Wolfsbane
Author: Andrea Cremer
Series: Witches War #2
Publisher: Penguin
Published: July 26th 2011

When Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemies, she’s certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer—one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack—and the man—she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.


In the exciting sequel to Nightshade, Andrea Cremer manages to create and maintain a great cast of characters, as well as keep us glued to the pages with nail-biting action. After fleeing her ritual and leaving Ren to run away with Shay, Calla finds herself captured by a group of Searchers. Searchers who claim to be on her side. When she learns that the Keepers, the ones she are the other Guardians serve, have been lying to them all along, she finds friends and alliances in the most unexpected places.

Searchers have always been described as bloodthirsty, killing machines, trained from birth to destroy all things good. What happens when things turn out to be the other way around? Calla wars with herself about what she has believed her whole life, but when her friends and Ren are put in serious danger, she must turn against those she thought she loved and could trust Whilst staying with the Searchers, Calla makes many new friends. Andrea's ability to write about 20 characters, keep them all interesting, developed and in the picture is absolutely amazing. Once again, their personalities just jump off the page and force you to love them. I could write an entire essay on the greatness that is the Searchers but I'm sure you'll find out yourself when you read this! Huge revelations are also made in Wolfsbane. We learn more about Shay's "uncle", Shay's father, Calla's family and a whole lot of relationships in between. They're bound to keep you on your toes!

This novel is scattered with twists and single-liners that completely change the story. The first half of Wolfsbane is largely focused on the history behind the Keepers, Searchers and Guardians but there is not one moment of boringness. It's not a history lesson…more like a fun show-and-tell on a Friday afternoon at school! After the half way mark? Fast-paced action is shooting at you from behind every corner. My heart was pounding without abandon and it did not slow until the end! The things that occur will really shock you and leave you gaping. Don't rip the pages while you're rushing to turn them!

This wouldn't be an Andrea Cremer novel if it didn't end on a cliffhanger. Already, I'm eager for Bloodrose and it hasn't even been a month. How am I to wait until 2012? I've tried to leave this review relatively spoiler-free because the surprises are half the fun. Grab the book, enjoy it, savour it so that you will last until 2012. A brilliant addition to this series!
Who hasn't read this book yet? *shoves you into a bookstore* Now!
Arms and legs wrapped around my torso, clinging tightly, refusing to let go. I snarled and bucked, twisting my head around as I tried to free myself of this new assailant. I couldn’t get a good look at the attacker nor could I manage to sink my teeth into the arm locked around my chest. A deep masculine whoop and the sound of laughter only fueled my rage. I crow-hopped and whirled in a circle, desperate to throw him off.
The laughter was coming from Ethan, who’d jumped to his feet and was watching me struggling with a satisfied smirk on his face. “Ride ’em, cowboy! Only eight seconds, Connor, and you’re golden,” he said. “You’ve already made it to five.”

Find Andrea on Twitter, Goodreads, Facebook and her blog.

Gorgeous isn't it? With a February 21st release, this will be coming out the day before my birthday! <3
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...