Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Friday, August 12, 2011

Review: Possession



Title: Possession
Author: Elana Johnson
Series: Possession #1
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Published: June 7th 2011

Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself. But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn. This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.


Possession sounded absolutely fantastic. Expecting an amazing love triangle in a dystopian world, I found myself disappointed with the weak characterisation and relationships. While I did enjoy the restrictiveness of the society and futuristic possibilities, it wasn't enough to make me love this book.

In a place where the Listeners aim to control, everyone is brainwashed to be Goodies in order to have a cohesive and fully cooperative city. The main character, Vi, is matched with Zenn, a Thinker-in-training who is willing to bend the rules. On a forbidden stroll in the dark, the two are apprehended and Vi is taken away to Green where she will be punished for her long list of rule-breaking. There, she meets Jag Barque, a Baddie who is well acquainted with the jail there. When forced to share a cell, the two make a plan to escape before embarking on a dangerously ambitious mission.
The name of the bad boy echoed in my head. What kind of name was Jag Barque? I’d heard stories about how sometimes the Baddies got to name themselves. Surely this Jag guy was one of them. Who would torture their kid with a name like his?
This novel was really good in terms of keeping the reader in suspense and confusion. Everything is possible in Possession so there's no real way to predict what is going to happen. Vi is a very sarcastic narrator and was very likeable in the beginning, as she was forthright and entertaining with her sass. It's very unfortunate that her lack of decision between Zenn and Jag made her quite unlikeable later on. She switched positions very rapidly, would get too angry at people for the slightest things before forgiving them with a simple hug after a short bout of silence. It was like a game of Olympic ping pong, it happened so quickly and often! I also had trouble understanding why making decisions was so difficult for her - 90% of the time, the answer was obvious.
The paper contained two words: Fly, babe. I shredded it into little pieces. Fly? The stupid boy wanted me to fly? I’d fly off the handle when I caught up to him. Then he’d see me fly.
I never felt a connection with any of the characters but I'm really hoping that this is improved on in the sequel. The novel ended on a gasp-worthy cliffhanger that actually makes me want to give this series another go! While Possession does have its negatives, I think there are quite a few positives too. Give it a try and it just might be your piece of cake. There are more than enough witty lines to keep your interest!

Who's read this? What did you think? Same problems as me or no?

Find Elana on Twitter, Goodreads, Facebook, her website and blog.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...