What better way to start a novel than to have the main character fight with another girl over a guy? *cue ooohs and ahhhs* As the situation escalates, Ava's delinquent sister rides in on her powerful motorcycle, quickly turning things deadly and serious. I found the introduction of this novel to be very exciting, a sign of good things to come, but somehow that interest waned, leaving me wanting to shut my eyes and sleep. Whether from boredom or sheer exhaustion, we'll never know...
Wildefire is about a teenager who, like her sister, is gifted (or cursed) with the powers of the Gods. She does not realise she possesses these powers at first and struggles to control them whilst being provoked and taunted by her big sister, Eve. Eve believes that they should take advantage of their powers, as they are superior to mere mortals, and use them for greater (and possibly evil) purposes. But all Ash wants to do is go through high school like a normal teenage girl without having to worry about what harm may come her way. There are prophecies, reincarnations, murders...all potentially gripping stuff. Unfortunately I did not jump on this bandwagon.
Several things could have contributed to the difficulty I had with immersing myself in Wildefire. I found myself running into a lot of problems at first, but things did begin improving in the second half where I was able to enjoy the novel much more easily.
- The mystery behind Ash's powers and her destiny
- The truly evil antagonist - I want to send her sister to the pits of Hell!
- Nicely written action sequences
- Nice juicy cliffhanger
- I liked the idea that others in the world had powers also
- The mythology was not explored until very far into the novel
- The characters didn't interest or captivate me, as we weren't given the chance to get to know them at all
- The romance fizzled and the "love interest" only randomly appeared a few times briefly
- At times there was odd storytelling that threw everything out of whack...flashbacks, point of view changes - I don't even know what's happening!
- Not a whole lot actually happened. Where was the plot?
- The climax - just when things were getting good - was over too quickly
Find Karsten on Twitter, Goodreads, Facebook and his blog.
Buy Wildefire on Amazon, The Book Depository, Barnes and Noble and Borders.