Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Just Curious (1) - Pressure To Like Books!

 Just because I honestly am curious. No schedules. Just random questions that I'll ask every so often when I feel like it.

How many of you have ever felt pressured to give a book a good review or rating? Did all of your friends like it? Were you making great friends with the author? Were you on a book tour? If I'm being truthful, I would say that yes I have felt pressured to be positive. While, in the end, I do rate the book for what it is, there's this annoying little thing inside me that's telling me off for being mean.

For me, other bloggers don't influence the way I review a book because I know we're a really diverse bunch. It's usually the authors/tours. I mean, how you tell the author you've been BFF-ing with that you disliked her book? How do you not be negative when you're promoting a book on tour?

I think that if you've spoken with the author beforehand, you try hard to love the book as much as possible and when you don't, you try harder in hopes that it will get better and be amazing by the end. Book tours, for me, also do the same. When you're trying to promote a book the last thing you want to do is not like it. Sometimes you get those ones that you wish you didn't have to finish and you know that you wouldn't have normally. Then it just gets harder to finish the book, knowing that you're only forcing yourself to.

So what to do?
  • Lie and say the book was great.
  • Remove yourself from the tour.
  • Convince yourself that the book was better than it was - it was just you.
  • Don't send the author the review.
  • Be a little biased.
  • Don't review the book at all.
  • Focus more on the good than the bad.
  • Be 100% truthful and say how much you disliked it.
Oh, you could drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what to do. Leave me your thoughts on the matter and what you've done in the past!

P.S. Just to be clear, I haven't really disliked an author friend/book tour book badly before. The worst I've gotten is just so-so. Again, my reviews are truthful. I just feel terrible for not loving the book like I thought I would.

P.P.S. This post was not brought on about me not liking a current tour book. It honestly was a 100% randomly chosen question today! I'm not asking advice for right at this very moment, but just wondering for the future.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...