Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Guest Post: Linda Hawley

Today we're being joined by the lovely Linda Hawley for a guest post. She's the author of Dreams Unleashed, which is available now!


It’s the near-future year of 2015, where technology governs life.  In this dystopian world, governments control their citizens by tracking them with RFID.  The right to personal privacy does not exist.  The heroine, Ann Torgeson, having been trained by the CIA as a paranormal spy at nineteen years old, has enhanced abilities.  Twenty-five years later, she lives a double life:  first, as a technical writer for a tidal energy company in the Pacific Northwest, and second, as a member of the worldwide anti-government subversive organization, called GOG.  When Ann’s vivid dreams turn real, she questions whether the doorway between her subconscious and reality has been permanently altered.  When she starts to dig into her past, her present begins to unravel, leading the reader through events that twist and turn everything upside down.  Question everything you know is essential in this trilogy.

~x-x-x~

Dream-Builders vs. Dream-Squashers

Lisa opened up the chance for me to guest blog on any topic I wanted.  I’ve guest blogged for a number of book reviewers, but I thought I’d do something unique for all of you today.  I’d like to talk about your dreams.  “Huh?  You know about my dreams?” you might ask.  I’m talking about what you dreamt of doing/becoming when you were a child.  I’m talking about dreaming dreams for yourself…achieving your own dreams.

I believe that everyone has natural gifts and talents (yes, I said everyone).  These gifts come in all flavors, shapes, and sizes.  Additionally, we all have the ability to imagine.  Given no limits, what is one thing that you can imagine yourself doing or being?

When I was a young child, about five, I fell in love with words.  We had a large family and didn’t have much money, so the only way I could get books to read was through the Bookmobile that would drive through our neighborhood, lending books.  I think I read most of the books on that Bookmobile.  I especially liked the Nancy Drew books.  Then, when I was twelve years old, I had a terrible accident, and sustained a serious head injury.  Because of the damage to my brain, I had to re-learn English.  It took many many years for me to read well again, but ironically, I could still write.  So I started writing…all the time.  For me, these struggles fueled my great love for books, stories, and the written word.  I dreamed of being a writer, never letting that dream depart from me, even in the face of a great struggle.

Sometimes, there are dream-squashers in our lives, who like nothing more than to kill the things we imagine ourselves doing.  After my accident, I had lots of dream-squashers who were sure (because of the damage to my brain) that I would never achieve anything.  It seems that for every five dream-squashers in our lives, there is only one dream-builder.  But the power of that one dream-builder is bigger than the power of the dream-squashers.  I had a teacher in school (my psychology teacher) who had me keep a daily journal in class.  I quickly learned that he was my dream-builder.  Even though I struggled with spelling, sentence structure, and other written English rules (because of my accident), he told me I was a passionate writer.  So, my dream flourished, and the power of that one dream-builder sustained me.

I have this friend who I visit weekly.  She is not related to me, but she is my elderly friend.  When she was a child, she had Polio.  Because of it, she is in a wheelchair.  Since she was a child, she dreamed of ice-skating.  Because of the Polio, she was never able to, but she kept dreaming.  Her whole life she has watched ice-skating on television, and has enjoyed it thoroughly.  On Sundays, she wears a pin to church of a girl skating on ice.  Even though her body has limited her from some things, she’s never become discouraged.  She told me that when she gets to heaven, she’s going to be an ice skater.  She’s dreaming her dream, and I’m certain she will achieve it.

I believe that whatever it is that you want to do, become, or achieve, you can.  I believe in you. 

~x-x-x~ 

Thank you to Linda for such a fantastic guest post. Don't you feel all warm and fuzzy inside now?

Read a free sample of Dreams Unleashed at Amazon
Buy the ebook for $2.99 at Smashwords Amazon, Barnes & Noble 
Print copies are being published this week!
Visit Linda's website and her blog

“Ann is one of the most complex characters I’ve ever read….  The world is dystopian: the government is the evil Big Brother keeping people safe even against their will.  Yet, the characters aren’t depressed or desperate.  They try to live their normal lives which includes laughter, too.”
“The book really pushed me out of my comfort zone as I’ve never read any other book similar to this….  From the very beginning, the book kept me intrigued by its mystifying plot and excellent narration.  I must laud the author for her ability to write her story in the finest detail, which makes the story sound somewhat believable.  Everything was described superbly….  Overall, this novel is a real and pure page-turner.”
“It's like a present that you are slowly unwrapping layer by layer.”
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...