Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Author Interview: Victoria Schwab + Giveaway

So I've got the lovely Victoria Schwab on my blog today for an interview! If you haven't read my review of The Near Witch, check it out now!


Welcome to Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me! We're so happy to have you.

Please tell us a little about yourself!
I'm a daydreamer.
Oh, that was a very little. Okay, I'm a daydreamer with a love of the way words fit together. I tell stories to the stripes on swimming pool floors. I suffer from wanderlust and the constant need to create. When I'm not writing it spills out of my pen into doodles, into cookies, into lists.

In 100 words or less, why should people read The Near Witch?
Silverstein says, "If you're a dreamer, come in," and I feel that way with my stories. People sometimes pick up books wanting specific things, and so I can't tell you if THE NEAR WITCH has what you're looking for, but if you can come in as a dreamer, an explorer, a reader, then please do :) I hope you like it.

You love fairytales and folklore. Which one is your favourite, now and as a child?
It's always been Little Red Riding Hood. It seems cliché, and maybe it is, but LRRH has been through several reincarnations. Its earliest versions were much much more a tale of witchcraft than wolves!

The Near Witch greatly deals with fear and what it compels people to do. Have you ever done anything out of fear that you've regretted?
I've not done things out of fear, and regretted that. NOT doing something because of fear is even worse than doing it, I think.

Is there anything in the final novel that was changed from your first draft?
Hahahahahahahaha. Oh dear. I want to say ONE paragraph of the first draft made it into the finished book. That's not an exaggeration.

You're 23 and already a published author. Did you always know you wanted to write?
I did. Not novels, mind you. I have this horrible problem I like to call A SHORT ATTENTION SPAN. I never thought I'd be capable of focusing on a novel long enough to, you know, WRITE IT. So I started in poetry, and some short format, some nonfiction and some fiction and some who knows what. But I was always, always creating. It wasn't until my sophomore year of college that I decided to even attempt a full-length book. The result was something Alice in Wonderland but even more oblique and existential. Thankfully, I tried again.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time, other than reading and writing?
Exercise is a HUGE part of my sanity. If I'm not writing or reading, I'm moving around. Sometimes I write or read WHILE moving around, but then I inevitably run into things.

Can you tell us two things about yourself that most people don't know?
Hmm, let's see...my grandmother had my future told before I was born, and every single thing so far has come to pass. Also, I care about people's opinions far more than I should, and far, far more than I will let on.

If you were to be stuck on a deserted island, what five things would you take? What would you already have with you?
My Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, a pair of sunglasses, tea, a pet, and a boat.

Can you tell us a little about your next project?
My next book is called THE ARCHIVED. It's kind of like Buffy meets The Shining but also with some kissing. That's about all I can say about it *right now* but believe me when I say I cannot wait to share more!!!

Your birthday's coming up in a few weeks. Any big plans?
Eep! SO OLD. Heh. I mean. So, to be totally honest, my birthdays have this awesome habit of being awesomely BAD. No matter what I devise, or others devise, things just go generally awry. So this year, especially with NW only a few weeks from release, I've decided to focus on SURVIVING my birthday sans catastrophe :)

So...you say you can bake some delicious cookies. Mind sharing?  
I actually love sharing cookies! I was overseas for a few months, which meant I couldn't bake for people, but normally I pop up on Twitter and ask if anyone wants a batch of cookies (see? so you should totally follow me if you don't already, for that reason alone).

Perfect writing environment? A coffee shop corner :)
Cats or dogs? ALL the animals. I have three dogs and two cats, and the only reason I don't have various little woodland creatures is because my family forced me to let them go.
Favourite book? So hard to pick. But Princess Bride and Graveyard Book are wayyy up there.
Favourite author? Toss up between Neil Gaiman and Laini Taylor.
Favourite book character? I could make lists, but Po from Graceling, Fire from Fire, and Peeta from Hunger Games are pretty high up.
Favourite TV show? Dexter. And Doctor Who.
Favourite food? Chocolate. And fruit. And bread. And diet coke.
Guilty pleasure? America's Next Top Model.
Most embarrassing moment? OH SO MANY. I endeavor to make a fool of myself at LEAST once a week. It's good for the constitution.

Thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to let me interview you. I'll be keeping my eyes open for your future novels! *mwah*

Thank you so, so much for having me on the blog, Lisa!!! It was divine.

~x-x-x~

Isn't she a sweetheart? Love her! I am so excited to read The Archived. It sounds brilliant. *lets out fangirly sigh*

Find Victoria on TwitterGoodreads and her blog
Buy The Near Witch on AmazonThe Book DepositoryBarnes and Noble andBorders.

For anyone who cares, the story of how Victoria and I met:
I had just read The Near Witch and was in fangirl mode. I did a little squealing on Twitter and this mysterious @veschwab tweets me, saying how she's so happy I liked the book! So of course, I agree and do some more squealing. After tweeting a little with her and another blogger, I click on her bio only to see that she is Victoria….freaking….Schwab. THE AUTHOR. Would someone like to smack me on the head for not realising from the very beginning? I'm such a dork. Luckily, Victoria thought it was funny and all was forgotten after I promised to go back to treating her like a blogger again ;) She really is the sweetest so make sure you're following her!



Victoria's graciously donated a swag bag to giveaway! Signed bookmarks, buttons, etc. Snatch these up before I intercept and grab them for myself!

To enter, FILL IN THE FORM.

- Extra entries available!
- Open internationally
- Ends July 2nd
- Must follow via GFC
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...