Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Review: Six Moon Summer

Title: Six Moon Summer
Author: S.M. Reine
Series: Seasons of the Moon #1
Published: April 29th 2011
Source: Author

Rylie is certain life can't get worse. Her parents have sent her to summer camp so they can focus on divorcing, the shrews sharing her cabin are bullies, and hiking gives Rylie asthma attacks. When her attempt to run away on the full moon is cut short by a flash of bloody jaws, she learns that becoming a monster is the hardest trial yet. Her temper turns violent and she keeps waking up in the forest with no memory of how she got there. Seth has answers, but he's way too cute and knows way too much to be trustworthy. With no other allies to turn to, Rylie is forced to accept Seth's help, and they search the dark forests of Gray Mountain for answers. If she can't discover a cure in three months, she's doomed to become a werewolf-- forever.

Six Moon Summer is a fantastic book by debut author, S.M. Reine. I enjoyed it as much as I thought I would and more! The novel puts a spin on how werewolves came to be and the paranormal element is aided by the usual woes that teens must face. Not only do we read about Rylie's adventures as an almost werewolf, we follow her as she is mercifully teased by bullies and overcomes family issues. I absolutely love how Rylie's experiences as a wolf are described in great detail. Nothing is skimmed over, making the story much more believable and solid. This isn't something that you see a lot of in werewolf books so this book is definitely one to try.

The novel is written in third person but this does not take away from the characterisation at all. Rylie's thoughts are clear and rational, and I found myself falling into her character very easily. I felt a lot of sympathy for Rylie - normal human issues plus impending doom? Yeesh! Becoming a wolf is made worse by the fact that Rylie is a vegetarian - you can imagine how that went!
Her relationship with Seth is sweet, confusing and heartbreaking all at once. As the climax approaches and new information is discovered, things between them get difficult and readers are left hoping that they can be together, despite the odds.

Fast-paced and exciting are just two words to describe Six Moon Summer. There are many twists - some predictable, some not - and you will be engaged from beginning to end. The novel ends much too soon for my liking (give me more now!) and so I'm now panting for All Hallows Moon, which has a tentative release date of October this year. This trilogy sounds very promising and the adventure, mystery and romance will definitely pull you in for more.


Grab your copy of Six Moon Summer from places such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Thanks to Sara for sending me a lovely print copy of her novel!
Make sure to read my interview with Sara and enter my giveaway for a copy of this!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...