Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Review: Demonglass


Title: Demonglass
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Series: Hex Hall #2
Publisher: Hyperion
Published: March 1st 2011

**Spoilers if you have not read Hex Hall**

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium. But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth. 

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers. But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?


I really don't know what to say about this book, but I don't think you'd all appreciate it if I just said that this book was AMAZING. The previous book, Hex Hall, was good but not earth-shatteringly so. Does Demonglass fit the bill? YES! I enjoyed this one from start to finish and I can't wait to read it again one day.

Once again, Rachel Hawkins puts us on an emotional rollercoaster. Her ability to make us laugh freely one second and then heartbroken in the next is magnificent. Sophie is a character who is so easy to relate to. Even though she's a demon, she has human qualities and emotions. I feel as if I know her and all of the other characters very well, and every single thing that happened to them had an impact on me too. Let me just say, Sophie's interactions with every single character was gripping and tugged on the heart-strings in some way.

I firstly just have to say that I absolutely loved meeting Sophie's father. Gone is the terrible image of him I had in the previous book and in is the caring and protective man who loves his daughter. In comparison with Sophie's other relationships, this one was so heartwarming. There are some really sweet father/daughter scenes that fill in some gaps from the previous book which were very enjoyable to read. The two are as snarky as the other and these moments of comic relief are godsend! If you didn't know where Sophie's wit came from before, you do now. Also, if you were missing the magic from Hex Hall you definitely won't be whilst reading this!

Now, I know what you're waiting for. What about Archer? Yes, what about Archer?
I'll tell you that fans will be pleased. There are some frustrating moments, confusing moments and most importantly, some swoony moments. And did I forget to mention the steamy moments? Oh yes, you can look forward to those. Every scene of theirs was a joy to read, and so you'll be anxiously waiting for the next after one has just finished! But here's something that you may or may not have seen coming - Cal, the young groundskeeper from Hex Hall. We discover that Cal isn't as indifferent and blasé about things as we thought.

The long flight from Georgia to England had been pretty uneventful. Except that Cal had sat next to me. Which was fine. Really. It wasn’t like I’d been hyperaware of his presence and jumped the three times his knee bumped mine. And after that third time, he definitely hadn’t shot me a kind of disgusted look and said, “Chill out, will you?”
And when Jenna gave us both a quizzical look, we hadn’t snapped, in unison, “Nothing!” Because all of that would have been weird, and Cal and I weren’t weird. We were cool.

I won't spoil it but I will tell you that Cal's a bit of a key player in this novel. Nothing terrible though - mostly awkwardly sweet. Everything is well on Team Archer Island!

I had so much fun reading this novel, the most I've had in a while. The plot is intriguing and the book is riddled with incredible scenes. Every single piece of dialogue is perfect and it was like the letters on the page just spelt out what I was wanting! That is, until the climax of the novel, which I must say is awful. Shocking discoveries are made, tensions are running high and everyone's fear is tangible. I flew through the final few chapters of the novel and couldn't believe that it had ended. It honestly leaves us on an evil cliffhanger, right in the midst of action! I cannot wait until the next book is released in 2012. One more year, really? *devastated* This novel is packed with punches, twists and turns as we meet some interesting new characters who are unpredictable and somewhat crazy. Demonglass is fast-paced and filled with action, suspense, mystery and romance. It'll keep you on the edge of your seat until you reach the end so…what are you still doing here? Go out and get your copy now!



This book could really be a 6/5. It's shot up into my top 5 favourite books of all time, I think. I'll just go swoon some more now…
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...