Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Peeves


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week a new Top Ten list will be posted and one special blogger will answer! Everyone is welcome to join and post up their own lists. Have fun and get to know your fellow bloggers! This week's guest blogger is Ginger from GReads!

Top Ten Bookish Pet Peeves


1. Book designs
Do you know how annoying it is to have a book (or several) in one style/format/size and then have it suddenly changed?  *coughNightshadecough* I would like everything to match, please!

2. Creases/Paperbacks
I don't like creases on my pages or in my spines. Touch my book, return it in a less than perfect condition that I gave it to you in, you die. Enough said. Paperbacks really don't help the issue. I can't read through a gap bigger than 15cm without bending the spine.

3. Slow plots
Nothing happens for the first 400 pages but suddenly in the last 50, it all hits you like a freight train. The sudden endings are great too, by the way! Not.

4. Unbelievable love
I'm a romance reader. I've read lots of love stories. If you make the two random people fall in love in the first five seconds that they meet, I won't be pleased. Especially if they're two humans. If one or both are some sort of paranormal creatures that are programmed to love that way then fine but otherwise…just no.

5. Stupid coincidences and events
Coincidences don't exist. You can't fool me! Also in real life, how many times are you saved from some terrible thing just seconds before it's too late? I wish!

6. Authors who can't stop
If you've finished the story and have nothing more to say, stop. Don't write another 10 books just because you can, and start spouting out ridiculous storylines.

7. Unresolved things
Absolutely hate it when something is forgotten about completely. A question is brought up and is never resolved or mentioned again. And then there's those times where questions are all answered in one sentence. Don't you just love that?

8. Bookstore stickers
Why do you booksellers feel the need to make sure they are 100% stuck on? Unless you're going to make books waterproof, I CAN'T GET THEM OFF. Dymocks is good though. They put on those stickers that peel off very nicely… 

9. Unbelievable language
If you're an adult, please don't try to write/speak like a teenager (with incorrect slang/ditzy talk). It doesn't work. Likewise, if the character is a teenager, they're not going to sound like they're reading from a dictionary.

10. Perfect fairytale endings
Love my happy endings but not when every single little thing is perfect. It's unrealistic and quite annoying when in the last few pages or sentences, "such and such did this and went here and also such and such are going great too! Everyone's perfect and having a grand time. Woo!"

What are your book peeves? Any that aren't on my list?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...