Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Review: Succubus Heat

Title: Succubus Heat
Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Georgina Kincaid #4
Publisher: Kensington
Published: May 26th 2009
Georgina Kincaid has been a bad, bad succubus…which should be a good thing. But lately, thanks to her foul mood over breaking up with bestselling writer Seth Mortensen, she’s been so wicked that Seattle’s ├╝ber-demon Jerome, decides to “outsource” Georgina to a rival—and have her spy for him in the process. Being exiled to the frozen north and leaving Seth in the cozy clutches of his new girlfriend is unpleasant enough. Then Jerome is kidnapped, and all immortals under his control mysteriously lose their powers.

Succubus Heat is definitely my favourite book of the series thus far. The plot was excellent and the element of mystery was very exciting. Unlike the previous three books, I never got the feeling that I knew what was going to happen next and so I found things out along with everyone else!

Georgina - heartbroken, frazzled, out of her mind - is dating Dante, the con-artist from Succubus Dreams, in this book. My initial thoughts? Since when? It really came as a shock and had me rattled for a while. It's something so bizarre that you quickly realise how Georgina is not coping with things. Roman, the nephilim who has a deadly grudge against Georgina, makes a reappearance but luckily and confusingly doesn't try to murder her. I was so pleased with this since I adored his character. There are so many sweet scenes between these two through the book so obviously, I grinned, I giggled, I squeed.

At first I was worried because I thought the book would be set up in Vancouver, away from all of our favourite characters. Turns out, Georgina doesn't stay for long and the majority of her time is spent back home in Seattle due to some…unforeseen circumstance. Georgina and Seth are able to reconnect, though not in the best of ways. There ends up being a lot of complication between the two and Seth's girlfriend, Maddie. You can see where this is going, right? Nonetheless, I enjoyed every bit of the Georgina/Seth time, even though it all ends horribly. Words can't describe what I felt when Seth Mortensen dropped a bombshell on us.

So thank goodness for the small moments of comedy we got in Succubus Heat. The other side characters, like always, amused me greatly while Georgina herself amused me also with her irrational fear of being mortal. She's scared of walking outside, exposure to carcinogens, germs and weight gain - tell me that's not funny. Her humour and sarcasm rivals that of Rose Hathaway and she's impossible not to love.

I think the book overall had a very nice mood. It was fast-paced, interesting, and had a great cast of characters. As they were already established and familiar, we could really focus on the plot this time around. Succubus Heat leaves us on a positive note, giving us hope that Georgina will eventually get her slice of heaven and happily ever after. After reading this, you won't be able to wait to dig into the next book and see how all of the new developments end up working out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...