Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Review: Succubus Blues

Title: Succubus Blues
Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Georgina Kincaid #1
Publisher: Kensington
Published: March 1st 2007

Succubus (n.) An alluring, shape-shifting demon who seduces and pleasures mortal men. Pathetic (adj.) A succubus with great shoes and no social life. See: Georgina Kincaid.
When it comes to jobs in hell, being a succubus seems pretty glamorous. A girl can be anything she wants, the wardrobe is killer, and mortal men will do anything just for a touch. Granted, they often pay with their souls, but why get technical? But Seattle succubus Georgina Kincaid's life is far less exotic. At least there's her day job at a local bookstore - free books; all the white chocolate mochas she can drink; and easy access to sexy writer, Seth Mortensen. But dreaming about Seth will have to wait. Something wicked is at work in Seattle's demon underground. And for once, all of her hot charms and drop-dead one-liners won't help because Georgina's about to discover there are some creatures out there that both heaven and hell want to deny...


So, Succubus Blues. I didn't really know what I would think of this novel, as I had never picked up one of Richelle Mead's books before, apart from Vampire Academy. There are many characters and plotlines in this novel, but it was not until the final third that I was convinced that I liked it. The world in Succubus Blues is filled with many supernatural beings - angels, demons, succubi, vampires….imps? I really loved all of them and thought they all had some pretty nifty gifts and interesting characteristics. Prior to starting this novel, I hadn't properly read the plot summary so I had no idea what I was in for. I didn't know what was going to happen and what pieces of information was already revealed to us. All that I knew was that Georgina Kincaid was a sexy succubus. Thinking the novel would follow her "business", little did I expect the things that occurred.

The female lead in this novel has a crush on Seth, a bestselling writer who has made the bookstore she works in his homebase. Now, what to say about Seth? Whilst reading this book, I didn't really connect with him as much as I would have liked. I thought he was really sweet and caring, and felt for him when Georgina did some less than nice things, but I never felt the strong need for him to be with her. I didn't root for him and didn't see why I should but hopefully my opinion of him will change in the future. I actually found myself liking Roman, the other guy Georgina is interested in, and was quite disappointed when things began going downhill. Yes, I wanted Georgina to run away with Roman instead of sticking with Seth. Oh, the horror. Once again, I didn't feel as if Georgina connected with any of the male leads until the second half of the book, so you can imagine my gladness when she did. I was very worried the story would continue on without any real growth or climax so…phew! I really wanted to like this series! Sincerely hope that Georgina and Seth bond more in the next book. I'm still not totally feeling this "love" that's between them so I guess we'll have see. The ending of this book gives me, and hopefully you, some hope.

All in all, Succubus Blues was an above average book. I enjoyed the plot and the characters and will continue reading this series in hopes of finding that 'wow' factor! This book does contain mature content, and by that I mean R, so if you know you can't deal with or aren't used to that, it might be best for you to stay away. Wouldn't want you lovely readers to pass out when Georgina suddenly whips her clothes off, but do give it a try if you can!


I know this blog is for young adult books, but I feel as if I need to review this seeing as it does turn out to be a great series. I'm going to pump out the reviews for this series as fast as I can, and we'll be back to YA soon ;)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...