Readers: February 27th: Apologies for the scattered posting that's about to come during the next week or so. University has just started and I have a lot of work to do to get on top of things (and ahead!). Thanks for your patience, as always.

Publishers: I promise I'm not abandoning the lovely review copies you've sent!
I'm getting through them and the reviews will come eventually!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Review: Mockingjay

Title:  Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Series: The Hunger Games #3
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Published: August 24th 2010

Mockingjay was a good book. Not fantastic, but pretty good. Enjoyable. I won't go too much into detail with the plot since there isn't really a way to do so without adding spoilers, but let's just say that there's sadness, frustration and death. Not as much happens in this novel as it did in the previous two books, and Mockingjay has a slow build. Right as we finally come to the climax where things become the most interesting, we are swept off our feet and thrown into an entirely different direction. I found the ending to be a little disappointing. I expected more closure and resolution with the love triangle between Katniss, Peeta and Gale but it was an abrupt end for them, with loose ends tied up briefly and quickly. Readers are left again to wonder whether this was the end, but this time not in a good way. Love triangle aside, we don't even get to thoroughly see the aftermath of the events that occurred. It was climax, weird scene, future, done. I was looking forward to the big finish but sadly, it never came.

I do have to say, though, that the way things panned out in this novel (minus the ending) was better than what I had imagined in my head. Everyone obviously had their own theories about what would happen, and I didn't expect what did at all which was great. Scenes were still written very well, engaging us with the little twists and turns that appeared every now and then.

Mockingjay earns this rating because even though the ending was quite weak, the rest of the book was interesting and enjoyable. It really comes down to a 3.5 - 4 but i'll go with a 4 since 3.5 seems too low.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...